Saturday 17 May 2014

Watercolor background

Hello! Happy Saturday! It's Ria here today.

Watercolors are very popular right now in card making and I have seen a lot of beautiful creations using this medium. I recently got a set of Prang watercolor set that I wanted to try although I already have watercolor pencils and distress inks that can also be used in watercolor techniques. I have used Prang (Prang is a watercolor brand) back in the days when I was still at the Arts school so it hold a special place in my heart :)

So finally today, I had the chance to try watercoloring in my card background. I initially used the Prang watercolors but I find it a little light. It may be because I put too little of the colors. I wanted to test each of the watercolor types on hand but for now, I  just wanted to have a free play.

Here's the Prang watercolors that I got more than a week ago at the local art store and the Sarah Hurley's Butterflies stamp set that I'm also using:


The started off with the Prang ovals to color my base paper. I used watercolor papers as this paper type can hold a lot of water without tearing them apart.

I later moved to use the distress inks I have, putting some inks down in a plastic sheet and sprayed them with water. I then dip my paper into the wet ink and just had that fun moving the paper around and continue to do so after the first, second coat dries.


I did try out some reds in a another sheet of paper just to see how it works. I then chose to go for the Peacock feather distress ink for my project today. 



I then stamped the butterfly with a pigment ink, then run a wet brushed to fade the corners. Pigment ink also reacts to water so this one also gives that watercolor look on the stamped butterfly. I did this to the other two butterflies in the bottom of the card.


   I fuzzy cut this butterfly together with the other ones on this card project.


I then stamped my sentiment, also from the same Butterflies Stamp set and adhere that directly to the watercolor background. I just added a small stamped butterfly to fill that open space.

And this is what I came up with.


A closer look to the butterflies.


I hope this inspires you to create. Remember, the current challenge for this month is Anything Goes. There's still time to play so go ahead and try something out.

Until next time. Happy weekend!  

1 comment: